Sunday, June 04, 2006

Hidden Treasures


It was an unexpected surprise after coming through tiny little Lima, a town I immediately coined one of the dirtier little towns I've encountered. "Let's go on to Delphos," I suggested, the tiny digital camera literally burning in my hands. A preservationist at heart, I love the overlooked elements of Americana, and the billboard view of downtown Delphos promised to supply my fix.
Rising like a Phoenix above the sun-glinted trees was the most magnificent stone church. St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church.
"Wow," I gasped.Does Bishop _____ know about this one? There's one he forgot to tear down, close, re"muddle", or neglect to find a priest for. We rounded the corner and my family generously waited why I got as many pictures as I could. I circled the building, wishing I could get inside. I'd not seen a vintage building in this kind of repair and hoped that this wonderful quiet community knows what a treasure they have.

1 comment:

Jennifer Kay said...

That is a pretty church..........