Saturday, May 20, 2006

Laughter and Tears

We all saw this coming; the demise of a dear friend. My pigeon, Pidge, has lived with me in my studio for 11 years and judging from the early events in her life was possibly 12 or 13 when we said our goodbyes. She survived pneumonia and probably succumbed to cancer. I will always be grateful for the special veternarians who made her last days comfortable and her passing easier. I hurt today, along with my other family members; dread going into the room, my studio when she left such an imprint. But wonder where else the lessons learned could have been learned without the pain. I think of the funny things she did and it brings laughter. The last week or so, "force feeding her" brought a chuckle to my daughter and I as she characteristically swung her head around spitting meds and a yeasty smelling food in our direction.
She never left "nesting" mode, tugging on shoelaces when she could no longer fly. As we saw her neurolgical system seriously compromised, we knew a final decision had to be made. She passed peacefully with mild anaesthetic at Dr.Tim's office. We appreciate the kindness and compassion of this fine vet and his staff.

No comments: